The Marcel Proust Questionnaire
- Your most marked characteristic?
A craving to be loved, or, to be more precise, to be caressed and spoiled rather than to be admired
* Being half predictable and half unpredictable. I don’t know if one takes priority over the other.
- The quality you most like in a man?
* The sum of the qualities of a man who knows which qualities are important to me (3 in 1)
- The quality you most like in a woman?
A man's virtues, and frankness in friendship
- What do you most value in your friends?
Tenderness - provided they possess a physical charm which makes their tenderness worth having
- What is your principle defect?
Lack of understanding; weakness of will
- What is your favorite occupation?
- What is your dream of happiness?
Not, I fear, a very elevated one. I really haven't the courage to say what it is, and if I did I should probably destroy it by the mere fact of putting it into words.
- What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
Never to have known my mother or my grandmother
* To forget what is important
- What would you like to be?
Myself - as those whom I admire would like me to be
- In what country would you like to live?
One where certain things that I want would be realized - and where feelings of tenderness would always be reciprocated. [Proust's underlining]
- What is your favorite color?
Beauty lies not in colors but in their harmony
- What is your favorite flower?
Hers - but apart from that, all
* I don’t know. Never really thought of it. I have a perfume, lily of the valley.. I like it.
- What is your favorite bird?
- Who are your favorite prose writers?
At the moment, Anatole France and Pierre Loti
* At the moment, Khalil Gibran
- Who are your favorite poets?
Baudelaire and Alfred de Vigny
* At the moment, Jay Macpherson and T. S. Eliot
- Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
- Who are your favorite heroines of fiction?
Phedre (crossed out) Berenice
- Who are your favorite composers?
Beethoven, Wagner, Shuhmann
- Who are your favorite painters?
Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt
- Who are your heroes in real life?
Monsieur Darlu, Monsieur Boutroux (professors)
- Who are your favorite heroines of history?
- What are your favorite names?
I only have one at a time
- What is it you most dislike?
My own worst qualities
* Anger. Violence is inconsiderate. Anger and violence is dangerous.
- What historical figures do you most despise?
I am not sufficiently educated to say
- What event in military history do you most admire?
My own enlistment as a volunteer!
- What reform do you most admire?
- What natural gift would you most like to possess?
Will power and irresistible charm
- How would you like to die?
A better man than I am, and much beloved
* I would like to die knowing that I have asked every question I have ever wanted to ask and that my questions were appreciated by those who attempted to answer them.
- What is your present state of mind?
Annoyance at having to think about myself in order to answer these questions
- To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
Those that I understand
- What is your motto?
I prefer not to say, for fear it might bring me bad luck.